Sunday, December 12, 2010

NC DOT is Good for the Environment

I love to learn.  One of my favorite things about this blog is the opportunity to learn.  Yes, it is sometimes challenging to post something new here daily but it keeps me on my toes and I'm encouraged to look for new material.  I just found some.

I've known for quite a while that the NC Dept. of Transportation does a great job taking care of our environment.  I just didn't know to what extent.  In reviewing the State's FY 2008-2009 Solid Waste Report, I learned some pretty interesting things about the DOT's highway construction and maintenance projects. 

Last year:
  • Over 670,000 tons of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP) was used as an asphalt mix additive.
  • About 5,000 cubic yards of clearing and grubbing debris was used as mulch for erosion control and roadside environmental applications.
  • Over 32,000 tons of coal combustion fly ash was used in concrete mixes.
  • Approximately 7,500 tons of recycled glass beads were used in pavement marking.
Very impressive!

Home Electronics Disposal

There was an error in this gadget