GIFTS OF CHARITYSponsor a child refugee, support a homeless shelter, or protect an acre of rainforest. www.newdream.org/consumer/carbon.php.
• Buy renewable energy certificates to offset the carbon emissions of a friend burning fossil fuel. More information is available at
• Set aside a few hours to volunteer in your community.
• Call your local social services agency and anonymously give food, clothing, and money to a particular family in need.
• Designate an amount of money to donate to charity and let your kids pick which causes will receive it. Older children can research different types of organizations and learn what kinds of projects match your family’s values.
• Some charitable websites you may want to check out: www.heifer.org, www.green-gifting.net,