Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Yarn Covered Lamp



I recently bought this round, wooden lamp at the thrift store for $2.  It was a bit scratched up, and had some green wax stuck to it, but it was wooden and it was $2.  Hard to pass up.  When I got it home, I gave it a good wash (something you should do with all your thrifted purchases!) and thought about how to decorate with it.  Then I found myself experimenting with yarn, and I absolutely love how it turned out.

Sorry I don't have step-by-step pictures of this little lamp do-it-yourself.  It's difficult for me to take pictures of myself while doing a DIY (I don't know how some of you awesome ladies do it).  But the process is super easy.

1. Find a round lamp at a thrift store (this should be relatively simple; since buying this one, I've spotted about 5...just keep your eyes open!).
2. Pick out pretty yarn.
3. Collect your supplies - I used yarn, a paint brush, watered down wood glue and scissors.
4. Begin by spreading the water + glue mixture with the paintbrush around the top inch of the base.  Stick yarn to glue and wrap around and around.  I wrapped about 2-3 rows and then stopped and held the yarn in place for about 30 seconds so it dried a bit.
5. Repeat step 4 until you reach the bottom.  When you have covered the entire base, you can neatly tuck the end of the yarn into the row above it, using a little extra glue to keep it in place.

Voila!  Your lamp is done, and now you have a cozy, Anthro-West Elm-esque lamp.

Hope you have a great day, friends!

till tomorrow,
Rebecca

Home Electronics Disposal

There was an error in this gadget