RALEIGH – The N.C. Coastal Reserve and National Estuarine Research Reserve will conduct public meetings and local advisory committee meetings this fall to receive comments on the required five-year update of the N.C. National Estuarine Research Reserve’s management plan.
The public meetings are an opportunity for members of the local community to learn about the purpose of the reserve and the management plan update, and provide comments through structured small group conversations on current and emerging topics, program implementation (research, education, training, and stewardship), and community involvement. There will also be an opportunity to provide general comments at the end of the meetings.
The local advisory committee meetings will provide a forum for committee members to share their thoughts on current and emerging topics, program implementation, partnerships and community involvement through facilitated conversations. Local advisory committees are groups of local residents, partners and leaders who provide reserve staff with guidance and feedback on reserve management. The meetings are open to the public.
The following includes the schedule of local advisory committee meetings:
· The Zeke’s Island Local Advisory Committee will meet at 10 a.m. Oct. 28 in the classroom of the Fort Fisher Recreation Area, 1000 Loggerhead Road, Kure Beach.
· The Masonboro Island Local Advisory Committee will meet at 4 p.m. Oct. 28 at the UNCW Center for Marine Science, 5600 Marvin Moss Lane, Wilmington.
· The Rachel Carson Local Advisory Committee will meet at 3 p.m. Oct. 30 at the NOAA Administration Building, 101 Pivers Island Road, Beaufort.
· The Currituck Banks Local Advisory Committee will meet at 9:30 a.m. Nov. 4, at the Wildlife Resources Commission Center for Wildlife Education, Currituck Heritage Park, N.C. Highway 12, Corolla.
The following includes a list of public meetings on management of the coastal reserves:
· The Zeke’s Island and Masonboro Island joint public meeting will be at 6 p.m. Oct. 27 at the UNCW Center for Marine Science, 5600 Marvin Moss Lane, Wilmington.
· The Rachel Carson public meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Oct. 29 at the NOAA Administration Building, 101 Pivers Island Road, Beaufort.
· The Currituck Banks public meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Nov. 3 at the Audubon Pine Island Sanctuary, 300 Audubon Drive, Corolla.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration requires National Estuarine Research Reserves, or NERRs, to update their management plans every five years. The updated management plan for the NCNERR will cover the period from 2016-2021. More information about the reserve program and the management plan update are available at the reserve program’s website, www.nccoastalreserve.net